Each Thursday morning my Farmers Market shopping includes a good haul of both orange and purple sweet potatoes. They are a rich source of carotenoids (orange) and anthocyanins (purple) – both important antioxidants with an array of health benefits. Sweet potatoes have also been shown to have positive effects on blood glucose control, and are a useful source of carbohydrate, particularly for active people.
They are delicious in savoury and sweet dishes. I add them to curries, make sweet potato wedges, include them in brownies, and also make these delicious stuffed sweet potatoes on a regular basis. These are an easy way to feed a hungry family!
Vegan Option, Gluten Free
We use all organic ingredients
6 small/medium orange sweet potatoes halved lengthwise
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
12 -15 mushrooms – include shitake mushrooms if available – chopped well
2 tbsp fresh coriander or parsely, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Celtic sea salt & ground black pepper to taste
Soft goats cheese (optional)
1/3 cup chopped activated pecans
Additional olive oil
- Place sweet potatoes cut side down on parchment paper on baking tray and sprinkle with cinnamon
- Add red onion to tray and drizzle this and sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bake in moderate oven (180oC) for around 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes cooked through and flesh soft.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, heat heavy based fry pan & add remaining olive oil.
- Add garlic and toss until aromatic, then add mushrooms and coriander/parsley. Stir while cooking for approx. 5 minutes or until mushrooms soft.
- When sweet potatoes are warm to touch, use a knife to cut the inside flesh approx. 5 mm from the edge, and scoop out with a spoon, into a bowl. Leave the sweet potato skin ‘bowls’ on the tray.
- When all flesh is scooped out, add the mushroom mixture and mix well with a fork. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Place this mixture back into the sweet potato skins.
- If using, crumble goats cheese over each potato half, and add a piece of roast red onion on top.
- Drizzle with a little additional olive oil.
- Place back in moderate oven for approx. 10 -12 minutes until cheese has melted and the sweet potatoes are warmed through.
- Top with crunchy pecans and serve hot with a crisp green salad or steamed asparagus & beans.