This is my take on a classic salad that I make almost every day for lunch or dinner when rocket (or arugula) is in season, and is super crispy & peppery. The flavours and textures in this mix of plants make it easy to enjoy a nutrient dense meal!
When I come across fresh, spray free figs at the local farm I will add these instead of (or as well as) pear, and often I’ll have the beetroot raw and finely diced instead of roasted.
If it works for you, at the end, add some fresh, soft goats cheese or a good organic camembert or even a tangy blue cheese – if you love cheese, this definitely makes the salad!
Vegan Option, Gluten Free
We use all organic ingredients.
- 4 cups roughly chopped rocket leaves
- 2 medium beetroot, scrubbed clean (leave skin on) and cut into 2cm thick wedges
- 2 spring onions finely diced
- ½ cup torn basil leaves
- 2 asparagus spears (if in season), roughly chopped
- 1 medium pear (or 3-4 fresh figs), thinly sliced
- 1 cup activated walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp cold pressed, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 180 oC
- Toss beetroot in 1 tbsp olive oil and ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar and place in baking tray
- Roast beetroot for approx. 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Toss rocket, spring onions, asparagus, basil, asparagus and pear/figs together in large salad bowl
- Add walnuts and toss gently through greens.
- Add beetroot and mix through.
- Mix remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper together and pour over salad, tossing gently.
- Crumble over soft goats cheese if desired, and enjoy.