We had so much fun making these for Easter one year that they have become a regular on our menu for celebratory feasts.
Gluten Free, Vegan, Grain Free
Makes approx. 10 -12 balls
- 15 activated hazelnuts
- 10 fresh dates, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp hulled tahini
- 1/4 cup activated hazelnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Large pinch sea salt
- 100g cacao butter
- 2 tbsp (50g) raw cacao
- ½ - 1 tbsp maple syrup (or raw honey)
- ½ cup finely chopped activated pecans
- Blend all the caramel ingredients in food processor until smooth.
- With damp hands, roll into marble sized balls, placing a hazelnut in the middle of each.
- Place balls on tray lined with parchment paper and put in freezer while you make the chocolate
- Stir cacao butter, cacoa, & maple syrup together over low heat until melted together. Blend thoroughly.
- Allow to cool and thicken a little, before dipping balls into chocolate and thoroughly coating
- Place back on tray and put in freezer for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- When solid, coat balls in another layer of chocolate, then roll each in chopped pecans.
- Put back in freezer, and when solid place in a glass container, and hide in the freezer until ready to eat.
TIP: If there is chocolate left over, pour over a small tray or dish lined with parchment paper and top with chopped pecans for a delicious chocolate bark.