This slice came about when I was trying to get a little more protein in our diet during a period when we ate very little animal products. Most people eat enough protein, however if your diet is predominantly vegan based, it pays to put in a little more effort to include plant based protein foods like nuts & seeds. In this delicious slice I’ve included tahini, hemp seeds, pepitas and nuts which not only bump up your amino acid intake but also add a load of other nutrients. I use activated nuts & seeds to keep lectin intake lower.
It makes a tasty treat with a cup of tea or coffee, or a lunchbox surprise for little (or big) people!
We use all organic ingredients.
- 6 fresh medjool dates, seeds removed
- ½ cup brazil nuts or almonds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp hulled tahini
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut (& extra to sprinkle on top)
- 1 tbsp pepitas
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 2 tsp maple syrup, honey or coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp cacao butter
- Place dates, brazil nuts, hemp seeds, vanilla & tahini in food processor and blend until completely combined into thick mixture.
- Remove from food processor into large bowl, and add pecans, coconut & pepitas.
- Combine with wooden spoon.
- Press mixture firmly into lined baking tray, cover and freeze.
- Melt cacao butter and whisk ingredients together in small bowl or jug
- Drizzle over or coat slice and return mix to freezer.
Leave slice in freezer for at least 4-5 hours, then remove, let sit for 5 minutes and with a large knife, cut into small squares.
Store in fridge or freezer until ready to eat.