These were created for those times when you are asked to bring a plate to a gathering, or when you have invited friends over for sunset drinks and want something nutritious yet tasty enough to go with the chilled botanical cocktails you plan to whip up.
Ticking all the boxes for plant based eating, the great umami taste of mushrooms will keep the carnivores happy too.
We use all organic or biodynamic ingredients
Makes around 24
- 1 cup cassava flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp pink lake salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil (+ additional to brush tortillas)
- 1 cup warm filtered water
Mexican Mushroom Mix
- 3 cups brown or button mushrooms,
- 4 cloves garlic,
- ½ red capsicum,
- ¼ small red chilli, seeds removed
- ½ med red onion
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 1 tbsp cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado, finely diced
- 1 lime, thinly sliced into small wedges
- Pre heat oven to 180oC
- Line an oven tray with parchment paper
- Combine the cassava & coconut flour, salt, oil and water in a large bowl.
- Mix with a spoon then with your hands to combine into a dough.
- Roll the dough into a log and cut into 4 pieces
- Place a piece of dough between two pieces of parchment paper and using a small chopping board, press down until it flattens into a round thin tortilla
- Use a small shot glass to cut out circles approx. 4-5 cm diameter.
- Place tortilla on parchment paper and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Bake in oven for around 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Allow to cool slightly on baking tray
Mexican Mushroom Mix
- Heat a heavy based fry pan over moderate heat
- Put mushrooms, garlic, capsicum, chilli & onion in a food processor and pulse quickly until ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Alternatively chop finely by hand.
- Add olive oil to pan and gently cook mushroom mix for around 10 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Use additional olive oil if required.
- Add chopped basil & coriander and mix through
- Drain any excess fluid from the pan and keep warm until tortillas are ready.
- Place tortillas on a tray and top with a teaspoon of mushroom mix. Add avocado & a slither of lime to each tortilla and serve warm.