I can happily spend Easter without chocolate eggs, but I really enjoy the nostalgia of eating warm hot cross buns, especially when dripping with melted butter & honey. As a child we only had these on Good Friday and maybe the day or two after, so they were extra special.
This year with some extra time at home (thanks COVID-19) we have played with a gluten, egg & dairy free recipe to create some buns that everyone in our family can enjoy. You can add extra spices or fruit peel if you wish and use almond milk instead of hemp milk if preferred.
Gluten Free, Vegan
We use all organic ingredients
Makes 9 large or 12 medium buns
- 1 ½ cups (150g) almond meal
- 1 1/2 cups (120g) tapioca flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup golden flaxseed meal
- 3 tsp gluten free baking powder
- ¾ cup natural sultanas
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- ½ cup hemp seed milk (blend 1 tbsp hemp seeds with 1 cup water at high speed in food processor until smooth) or almond milk
- 1/2 cup extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup or raw honey
- ½ cup tapioca or gluten free flour
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp water
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 160 oC
- Line tray with parchment paper
- Mix flours, almond meal, flaxseed meal, baking powder, spices & sultanas together in large bowl
- Mix hemp/almond milk, oil, vanilla & maple syrup together in small bowl.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and gently mix well.
- Spoon out portions of this sticky dough onto tray (can use wet hands to form a bun shape) and make a cross indentation with back of knife in each.
- Combine flour and water to make soft paste
- Put in biodegradable zip lock bag and snip one corner slightly to make piping bag
- Pipe crosses onto each bun.
- Mix ingredients together and brush each bun with a little glaze
- Put buns in preheated oven and bake for approx. 35-40 mins.
- Allow to cool and enjoy with butter/nut butter/fruit spread/raw honey