Soup is a wonderful winter comfort food, but it can also be a delicious way of packing in a whole lot of nutrient dense vegetables along with gut friendly, healing bone broth to boost immunity in the colder months. This green soup harnesses the power of the cruciferous vegetables broccoli & cauliflower which are not only rich in folate, vitamins A, C & K and dietary fibre but are also unique as they contain sulfur-containing compounds called glucosinolates, which have been shown to have cancer-fighting properties and may reduce inflammation. We have also added mustard seeds which are not only from the cruciferous family but also contain compounds that enhance the cancer-fighting potential of the broccoli & cauliflower!
Gluten Free, Vegan option
We use all organic ingredients
- 1 tbsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ leek, thinly sliced
- 1 large head broccoli, broken into small florets
- 1 small cauliflower or ½ large, broken into small florets
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped (keep some for serving)
- 1 litre chicken bone broth or vegetable broth
- 500 – 750 ml filtered water
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Soft goats cheese, coconut yoghurt, grass fed cream or cashew cheese
- Heat olive oil in large, heavy base pan, and sauté garlic, onion, celery, leek & black mustard seeds
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, parsley and broth and bring to the boil
- Reduce to a simmer, cover with lid and cook for around 45 mins or until vegetables are soft.
- Puree the soup in a food processor or with a stick blender until thick and creamy.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste
Serve hot topped with a dollop of goats cheese, coconut yoghurt, cream or cashew cheese and sprinkled with parsley.
Delicious with some warm hemp seed bread spread with turmeric macadamia nut butter.