It's no coincidence that walnuts look a lot like a mini human brain - they are a great source of brain healthy antioxidants, minerals and omega 3 fats, and we always keep some in the pantry. Activated walnuts are easier to digest and have fewer anti nutrients such as phytates & enzyme inhibitors ... and they stay really crunchy. They are delicious in salads, trail mix, muffins and of course go perfectly with almost anything chocolate.
Here's our take on a gluten free brownie with lots of protein and phytonutrients. Enjoy!
We use all organic and biodynamic ingredients.
Makes 8-10 brownies
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/2 cup coconut or cassava flour
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup activated walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp pink lake salt
- 3/4 cup coconut yoghurt
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre heat oven to 180oC
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper
- Dice dates and place in food processor.
- Mix bicarb soda in hot water and add to dates in food processor.
- Process until you have smooth paste.
- Mix flour, cacao, walnuts, cacao nibs, cinnamon & salt together and blend into date paste.
- Whisk coconut yoghurt, eggs & vanilla until well combined and fluffy, then add to other ingredients and blend with a wooden spoon.
- Press mixture gently into tin and smooth top with a spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for approx. 25 - 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool .
- Spread with Creamy Chocolate Mousse and top with additional chopped activated walnuts. Cut into squares and serve.