Contrary to popular belief, it was not Anzac biscuits as we know them that were supplied as rations to Australian & New Zealand soldiers in Gallipoli. Instead, they were issued with Hardtack biscuits which were made from flour, salt & water, had a very, very long shelf life, didn't go mouldy and were, as the name implies, as hard as a tack or rock! In fact they were so hard that soldiers were known to write messages on them and send them long distances to family, and were also used as paint canvases, photo frames and Christmas cards.
Recipes for the sweet Anzac biscuits have been included in cookbooks since the 1920's however it is not fully understood how they became associated with ANZACs and the first World War. Possibly they were included in gift packages to soldiers from their families in Australia. They are now considered a traditional way of commemorating Anzac day, although their recipe has had many adaptations to fit dietary requirements and to get the desired soft & chewy or crunchy result.
This is our vegan, gluten free take on the traditional Anzac and we've included some roasted Wattleseed and macadamia nuts to add a more 'native' feel to them. And we like ours chewy!Vegan, Gluten free
We use all organic or biodynamic ingredients.
Makes 18-20 biscuits
- 1 cup (100g) almond meal
- 1 cup (100g) gluten free oats
- 1 cup (75g) dessicated coconut
- 2 tsp roasted wattleseed powder
- 2 tbsp macadamia nuts, chopped roughly
- 1/2 tsp pink lake salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raw honey, melted over low heat
- 1/4 cup cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil or organic macadamia nut oil
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1-2 tbsp filtered hot water
- Pre heat oven to 120oC
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Mix almond meal, oats, coconut, wattleseed powder, macadamias, & salt together in large mixing bowl.
- Whisk vanilla, honey & oil together in small bowl.
- Dissolve bicarb in hot water, then whisk into the honey/oil mixture.
- Add this liquid mix to the dry ingredients and blend with a wooden spoon.
- Dampen hands and roll mixture into walnut sized balls, place on tray and press lightly
- Bake biscuits in oven for approx 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on tray.
- Serve with a cup of billy boiled black tea
- Store in an airtight container